My wife and I were at a missions conference this Saturday. The speaker was passionate because he intimately realizes God's passion for missions. Sitting there, surrounded by mostly Filipino Christians, I felt the urgency of his work: to mobilize Christians to reach the least, the lost, and the last. Here are few of my highlights from the day.
God's mission is to fill the Earth with images of Him, reflecting His glory and enjoying Him. We're in the last two minutes of history as the number of unreached people groups decreases. The passion of God is the redemption of His family members from every people group on this planet. All Christians are born for this purpose, to bring the mission of God to all people groups. For the past 6000 years, God has been pursuing that passion. It looks like we may be in the final minutes of this mission.
God is passionate about His mission of redemption and restoration. Kids often catch their passions from their parents. Little boys often grow up to pursue the same interests as their dads. The question for us is: Will we catch our Heavenly Father's passion and join His mission?
God doesn't make mistakes. He created this world knowing that we would reject Him. God's mission to love His enemy and adopt him into His family is the theme of world history. After all, it is His story! His redemptive mission drives history. The question is: Will it drive your story?
At Home or Cross-Culturally
All Christians are on a great co-mission with Christ. We're together on this mission to bring in the lost sheep from every people group. We work at home of course, but we also need to be working cross-culturally. There are over 16,000 people groups in the world. 6,700 of them are still needing to be reached. A reached group means that anyone can hear the gospel if they want to. An unreached or least-reached group means that a person can live and die without hearing the gospel.
The Family Business
Christ's mind is on the purpose and passion of His Dad. He put that mind into redemptive action. This leads me to ask: What captures my thoughts? What do you think about? Is our mind on the purpose and mission of our Father? What captivates my time? Whose passion drives my time and finances?
Efren Quejada: Mobilzer, SimplyMobilizing.com
Tim's Steps to the Mission
Reflecting on our journey into missions, here are some steps that you can consider, if you're catching the passion of Christ for gathering in His family.
1. Realize that a life on mission is a life lived to the fullest... the abundant life. Give up your life to serve God's mission and you will gain eternal life. Step # 1 is to surrender control of your life to God. The real adventure begins when you take this first step.
2. Think about God's mission and learn what He is doing. Study God's strategy and get to know His stats. Learn His worldwide mission and start talking about it. As Efren said at the conference, "What gets talked about is what gets done!"
3. Practice and get in shape. Like a kid working out at the neighborhood court, get yourself in shape spiritually. We are all called to play on God's mission team.
4. Raise your children to be mission-minded. Some families are characterized by hunting or sports. Make your family a mission family. Talk about God's heroes. Learn the battles for cultures that God has won. Daily grow your children so that they will be ready mentally and spiritually to win battles in these last days.
5. Make it your goal to go! You will value missions if you set a goal to go. In your journey to go, God will meet you and show you His unique calling for your time and talents. Location is not the focus for a sports team. Implementing practice and strategy into play is the focus. Location becomes secondary to the mission.
For many mission means location. Either I'm called or I'm not. That is narrow or partial thinking about missions. God's passion is our passion. His mission is my mission. Location is totally dependent on whether I'm scheduled for a home game or an away game. Those decisions are made by the coach. My passion is to practice, learn strategy, and win.
6. Live out your giftings to be an accurate reflection of God daily. Learn your Dad's heart and thinking and live it out in your church, family, job and community. Allow your heart to break for the least, the lost, and the last... no matter what continent they live on.
You are unique in your talents and gifts. In the eyes of God, you are special, and specially fit to take your place on His mission team. Will we see you out on the court?
We're a family on mission to bring the good news of Jesus to the Philippines.